Chromated arsenicals, which includes chromated copper arsenate (CCA), is a team of pesticides containing chromium, copper, and/or arsenic that shield wood from termites, fungi and other pests that can degrade or threaten the integrity of wood products and solutions. Chromated arsenicals-addressed wood is utilized to develop industrial wood shake, shingles, long lasting basis assist beams and other wood products and solutions permitted by authorized labeling. EPA is presently reevaluating all chromated arsenicals as part of the Registration Evaluate system (see Docket Quantity EPA-HQ-OPP-2015-0349 at https://www.laws.gov).
- Chromated arsenicals has been utilized as a wood preservative pesticide due to the fact the nineteen forties.
- Chromated arsenicals pesticides are applied making use of specialised superior-stress gear in wood procedure amenities by licensed pesticide applicators only.
- Prior to 2004, wood addressed with chromated arsenicals was utilized in residential structures these kinds of as decks and playsets.
- In December 2003, chromated arsenicals makers voluntarily discontinued production chromated arsenicals-addressed wood products and solutions for home owner employs.
- However, EPA has not banned chromated arsenicals and does not require the removal of present structures produced with wood addressed with chromated arsenicals or the surrounding soil.
- If you have an more mature deck or other composition produced with chromated arsenicals-addressed wood, applying a penetrating protecting coating (these kinds of as oil- or drinking water-dependent stains) on a regular basis may perhaps reduce the leaching of chemicals.
- Alternatives to chromated arsenicals-addressed wood consist of the following:
- Wooden addressed with other preservatives authorized by EPA
- Wooden-alternate and composite supplies and
- Species of wood that are resistant to pests.
Disposing of Goods Handled with Chromated Arsenicals Securely
- Whilst chromated arsenicals pesticide products and solutions are not out there to house owners, people may perhaps experience wood addressed with chromated arsenicals in a residential setting (e.g., present addressed structures).
- Reuse of chromated arsenicals-addressed wood is not topic to regulation by EPA under pesticide laws.
- If house owners require to dispose of chromated arsenicals-addressed wood, it can generally be disposed of by everyday trash collection (i.e., as municipal sound waste)
- However, point out and nearby governments may perhaps have unique steerage or instructions for disposing of addressed wood, so please examine with your point out or nearby waste administration system.
- Wooden addressed with chromated arsenicals should not be reused in products and solutions these kinds of as mulch.
- Do not burn off CCA or other preservative-addressed wood in a residential setting to stay clear of possible inhalation of toxic chemicals in the smoke and ash.
- Have on goggles and a dust mask when sawing wood addressed with chromated arsenicals, and clean your hands following handling.
- The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) is the federal regulation that generates the framework for the appropriate administration and disposal of harmful and nonhazardous sound waste.
Top of Site